Ski touring at 70° north inside the Arctic Circle in northern Norway. Snowcapped mountains rising straight from the sea and Nordic daylight provides perfect conditions for off-piste skiing in the spring.
Our mobile base camp for the ski & sail expedition is a luxury 75-foot sailing yacht, from where we explore the mountains on the Lyngen peninsula and its surrounding islands. Or, optimally for keen skiers, we stay in a large and comfortable seaside house from where we can reach even more peaks by road.
Glaciers, solitude and perfectly shaped peaks for skiing surrounded by the sea on all sides make the Lyngen alps a very unique ski-location, and one of the worlds most beautiful settings for ski touring and ski mountaineering. The spring in northern Norway frequently offers excellent snow conditions, nice weather for climbing peaks, and the chance to admire the mystic beauty of Northern Lights at night.
With summits between 800 and 1834 meters of altitude, our average daily ascents will range from 1000 to 1400hm straight from sea level. From the wide open glacier slope, to winding gullies and steep couloirs, you find it all. The Lyngen alps offer a perfect playground for all level of off-piste skiers and ski mountaineers.
Latest photo albums from Lyngen Ski Touring Trips
For the passionate ski-tourer, who wants to ski a maximum of great runs from amazing peaks in complete solitude. The great road-system, along all coastlines (including the islands), actually offers more options for where to start our ski mountaineering days then we can reach with the sailboat.
During this week of ski touring we are based 30min north-west of Lyngsided in the centre of the northern half of the Lyngen peninsula. Our accommodation is a brand new house situated right on the shore, equipped with sauna, wireless, 4 bedrooms and 100m2 of total living space. Fresh fish for dinner we buy from the boats straight off our porch!
From our lodge, and on our daily trips we get stunning views over the fjord and onto the some of the most impressive peaks in Lyngen Alps. Every day we climb different mountains on the Lyngen peninsula and its surrounding islands. Our daily decisions of skiing route and which summits to climb are based on group ability, avalanche safety and snow conditions.
Last minute! Possibility still for 1 private group to join us 18 – 25 March 2017.
– Optimally you are a group of 4-6 persons, any level of skiers, but with similar ski touring ambitions and capabilities.
– Best time is mid-March till end of April.
– For ski touring trips to Lyngen 2017: Arrival to Tromsö on Saturdays, latest 6pm, departure the following Friday evening or better on Saturday.
– More info and photos from our accommodation the gallery Ski Lodge Life in Lyngen
|Price per person:
|If you are 3 or less please contact us for a quote. For you we can also offer accommodation in smaller cabins or full-catered accommodation in a lodge.
Occasionally we have the possibility to put smaller groups together.
– 6 days of private ski guiding
– 6 nights accommodation in the house
– Rental of minivan
– Gas and ferry fees
– All expenses for your guide
– Self catered food (calculate 25€ per day for super-nice food and drinks), shopping and cooking work will be shared
– Night in Tromso before departure if your flight is on Sunday (from 50€)
– Flight tickets to Tromsö
– Mountain Rescue and cancellation insurance
Ski Touring off the Sailboat in Lyngen
When living on the sea during our Lyngen ski and sail expedition we board the yacht in Tromso on Friday afternoon, spend 7 nights on this luxury sail boat and depart the following Friday.
This gives us 6 full days of skiing and enjoying the wildlife of the Lyngen Alps. Every day of ski touring is followed by a well earned dinner and drinks on the boat. After ski touring we relocate to a different area each day.
Your mountain guide is experienced guiding in the area and knows where to find the best possible snow conditions for your ski and sail expedition. Our sailboat usually gets booked well in advance so you need to plan ahead! If possible contact us up to 1 year ahead. For Ski and Sail trips in Lyngen we only take bookings from private groups.
The Sailboat: The boat we use on our Ski and Sail weeks in Lyngen is a 75 foot yacht and perfectly adapted for ski and sail adventures. The sailboat has 6 double cabins, 5 toilets and showers, and a fresh water tank that holds 2000 litres. 3 different seating areas insure comfort when not skiing and hanging out on the sailboat.
Best time: Beginning March to end of April.
Price for Ski and Sail 2017:
|Price per person:
– Organising of private expedition and guiding by IFMGA mountain guide
– 7 nights onboard
– All food on board, breakfast, lunch-package, dinner, snacks
– Sheets, blankets and towels
– Certified skipper + one additional crew member, all safety equipment for sailing
– Harbor fees, fuel and heating for the boat
– Flights: You will find daily flights to Tromso from many European cities at www.norwegian.no
– Mountain rescue and cancellation insurance
More reading, guest testimonials, and other useful information in the Ski touring Norway blog category.