When skiing off-piste or climbing in the high mountains you are always exposed to the danger of avalanches. This avalanche awareness course is designed for skiers or climbers who wish to gain the essential knowledge of how to avoid unnecessary avalanche risks, and travel more safely in the mountain environments.
Avalanche awareness – 1 day course
Starting with one hour theory in the morning and then spending all day on the mountain. We cover terrain that we can reach from the lift without using skins and touring bindings, but we will hike a bit.
The following topics will be practiced:
– types of avalanches, types of snow
– snow pack, general understanding, how to dig a snow profile
– influences: terrain, weather, wind
– use of avalanche transceivers, search practice
– rescue techniques, how to organize a rescue
Avalanche awareness and ski touring – 2nd day
This is the next level building onto our fist day and is designed for those who would like to discover ski touring. Also here we start with theory and thereafter exemplifies what we have learned. We go out and practice to make the right decisions during a day of ski touring.
Topics that will be covered is:
– how to plan a ski tour by using metrological and topographic in formations
– reading topographic maps
– reading of the terrain, how to place a skin trail best, what to be careful with when descending
– group organization while ski touring
– snow pack, general understanding
Best Time: from mid December to end of April
1 to 3
|Price per course/day:
390 € per group
120 € per person
100 € per person
90 € per person
– 1 day of private guiding/instructing
– Handout to support our theory lesson
– Lift pass
– Avalanche safety equipment (transceiver, shovel & probe are obligatory and can be rented for 10€ per kit)
– Mountain rescue insurance
Group size: max 6 persons per group
More reading about avalanche safety in our Avalanches Blog Cathergory.